james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [JAMESHandler] Streams in AbstractJamesHandler
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:14:18 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> been staring hard at some of the handler framework
>>
>>  from AbstractJamesHandler:
>
> <snip>
>
>>  #3 >     } catch (RuntimeException e) {
>>  #4 >         StringBuffer exceptionBuffer =
>>  #4 >             new StringBuffer(256)
>>  #4 >                 .append("Unexpected exception opening from ")
>>  #4 >                 .append(remoteHost)
>>  #4 >                 .append(" (")
>>  #4 >                 .append(remoteIP)
>>  #4 >                 .append("): ")
>>  #4 >                 .append(e.getMessage());
>>  #4 >         String exceptionString = exceptionBuffer.toString();
>>  #4 >         getLogger().error(exceptionString, e);
>>  #7 >         throw e;
>
> <snip>
>
>>  #7 when an exception is caught, it is immediately rethrown. in this
>>  case, are the streams ever closed? do they need to be?
>
> when called from handleConnection(Socket), it will be closed on
> handleClean but it's a protected method and so could (potentially) be
> called from subclasses. wonder whether subclasses should really be
> overriding this method.
>
> - robert

I think I did the last changes to that code, but it was 2 years ago and
my memory can't even remember what I ate yesterday ;-)

For sure we didn't any "private=>protected" change because of user
requests, so we can change it if we are not the users of that protected
method.

 From a fast code read I would say that a "try {} finally {
cleanHandler(); }" should wrap the initHandler call, but I don't
remember where we call the handlerConnection and how we handle errors.

I can't find the protected handleClean method you refer to. I only see
cleanHandler and it is private.

Stefano