james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC application
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:20:10 GMT
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Jonas Arnsmann
<jonas.arnsmann@globolog.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>  > here are some ideas: shout if you like the sound of any of them
>  <snip>
>
>  >  * JPA backend
>  JPA = Java Persistence API, right?

yep

>  I have some in experience in this area, so i could maybe give a hand here..

great

hang around since it might be a week or two before we get to this...

>  > what i'm doing ATM is building up the functional test coverage (which
>  > can be used against any backend). these are quite neat and the scripts
>  > are created by a builder which you run against a known compliant
>  > implementation (dovecot, say). if you fancy taking a look at the
>  > specification and creating some test that try to break our
>  > implementation that'd be really great.
>
>  Sounds interesting.. I have not worked with a lot of testing frameworks so far
>  (except some basic junit stuff), but i'm always up for challenge..
>  If you could provide me with some more information on the current tasks, i
>  could get started in the next days..

we're trying to build up a big suite of functional tests. this will
allow alternative backend and frontend permutations to be tested for
compliance.

the framework works by reading a script of commands and expected
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/experimental-seda-imap-function/src/test/resources/org/apache/james/test/functional/imap/scripts/FetchMultipartMixed.test).
the commands are executed against a socket and the results compared.
more scripts are needed.

creating scripts by hand is good for some difficult areas but for
bullk coverage, it's best to automated.

take a look at org.apache.james.test.functional.CreateScript. it uses
ScriptBuilder to create test scripts by (running as an application)
against a known good IMAP implementation (preferrably dovecot). don't
worry about installing and configuring dovecot for testing: i can
easily run the script creation, the more valuable and effective
contribution you could make is by creating methods in CreateScript
which cabn discover problems with the implementation. ScriptBuilder is
not (yet) a feature complete client so you may need to add some more
operations but i think that should be relatively straightforward.

if you haven't done so yet, read
http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html and
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html then surf
http://www.apache.org and http://www.apache.org/dev.