james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <sknystau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Milestone from trunk
Date Sun, 04 May 2008 22:43:35 GMT
On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Bernd Fondermann
<bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>  >  See above regarding Postage.  And keep in mind that I've used Postal and
>  >  Rabid for isolated testing in the past, but it (too) is not sufficient.  We
>  >  need the real world exposure.
>
>  Every test setup has its pros and cons. Unit test have a specific use,
>  so have isolated, reproducible functional or load tests.
>
>  Nancy (solaris zone, that is ;-)) has the disadvantage that it
>  probably will reveil some bugs/problems which are not (easily)
>  reproducible because we don't control the test data/load. This would
>  make some people with proper knowledge of testing not call it a
>  'test', more an  'experiment'. I think it's worthwhile anyway, but
>  you'd have to fall back to other tests after running into that certain
>  family of seldom problems.
>
>  I seem to have a hard time pitching Postage (which I actually wrote
>  after - or better because of - working with Postal and Rabid), which
>  allows to use specialized message factory objects. Write a custom
>  factory for every specific mail which leads to a specific false
>  behavior inside the Server. This makes Postage a fit for any kind a
>  functional test you might (have to) come up with.

IMO there's a trust that's needed that some random spam monkey can't
send a few wrong characters and cripple your mail server at 3am and
ruin your saturday night.  This arguably has to be created by
surviving in a cruel unsheltered world.

In terms of getting more useful data from that test install, I bet
someone who knows unix pretty well could write a way to log all
incoming port 25 traffic so we could get some real world attack
vectors/invalid mime messages/random junk.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501