james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [mime4j] Extra methods For ContentDescriptor...?
Date Mon, 26 May 2008 22:34:12 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> ATM this interface supports
>
>    String getMimeType();
>    String getCharset();
>    String getTransferEncoding();
>
> so it has Content-Type and Content-Transfer-Encoding but is missing
> calls for information on the MIME-Version, Content-ID and
> Content-Description headers defined in RFC2045. this information would
> be useful for IMAP so i was wondering about the design of the API.
> should ContentDescriptor aim to supply the standard headers found in
> RFC2045?
>
> of course, this leads to the slippery slope: what about RFC 2183
> (Content-Disposition),  RFC 3066 (LANGUAGE-TAGS), RFC 2557 (LOCATION)
> and RFC 1864 (MD5)...?
>
> where should the API draw the line?

This is an hard issue...
IMO anything that is not required to correctly interpreting the mime
source should be left to a getHeader(String headerName) and a bunch of
constants for most used headers, so no, I would not add the Content-ID,
Content-Description and other headers defined in other rfcs.

On the other hand I would say that mime4j should be easy to be extended
to support a more complete/specific interface when parsing messages.

Stefano