james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] mail-samples product
Date Mon, 26 May 2008 22:26:03 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> examples:
>>>
>>>  1. resources in
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/experimental-seda-imap-function/src/test/resources/org/apache/james/test/functional/
>>> plus the intelligent loader (handles encoding, line endings and
>>> ignores headers)
>>>  2.
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mime4j/trunk/src/test/java/org/apache/james/mime4j/ExampleMail.java
>>>
>>> - robert
>> IMHO having corpus without any metadata about what is
>> particular/wrong/interesting in that corpus is pointless,
>
> what metadata did you have in mind?

Metadata depending on the test you want to do with each specific message.
E.g: message structure, whether it is an rfc2822 compliant message or
not, decoded binary attachments, and so on.

> a large corpus of standard mail with good coverage of different MIME
> types is useful for functional testing. typically, these are used
> either to generate testing scripts (for example, IMAP) or for
> round-trip testing (for example, Mime4J).

Simply loading the messages will not give any information. You will have
to locally set the result you expect (error, decoded data, structure).
And this depend on the tool you're testing.

If you don't add metadata to the corpus I see no big difference with
testing pseudo-random char sequences.

Probably this is caused by my ignorance but I don't see what corpus
could be shared between mime4j, the imap functional tests and postage.
In my mind each of this product will need its specific stuff.

Stefano