james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Milestone from trunk
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 09:07:34 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> i can happily live without any more JAMES server releases. the plan to
> release JAMES as a series of loosely coupled embeddable libraries
> works very well for me. but from a community perspective, being able
> to work together to create new JAMES server releases would be healthy.
> perhaps we should set history aside and just adopt a release process
> which other projects have found solves the proving issue.

I guess we already know how to do this. As you can see in my other reply
to this thread we made two 2.3.0 alpha releases from trunk in feb and
may 2006. Then we branched for one more alpha, 3 betas and 4 release
candidates during a 4 months period before a final release.

Something similar happened for previous releases, too (it is easy to

The code size was very similar to what we have in trunk, the changes in
sources in "diff" terms is a bit higher, but this is mainly due to some
"automated refactoring" (extracting interfaces, moving code from a class
to another, delegation patterns). In term of effective changes IMHO
2.3.x contained much "critical" changes in core classes. In 2.3.x we had
to fix MimeMessageWrapper issues and to make a lot of changes to that
core class in order to remove most of our leaks. In trunk that core
didn't change anymore.

I'll try to help with trunk in terms of bug fixing, but we don't have
bugs in JIRA for trunk. Most of the open issues are there since years
(and maybe should be marked as won't fix) or are new features we planned
to add to trunk.

Stefano