james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Milestone from trunk
Date Sat, 03 May 2008 09:32:46 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>
>> I don't trust 2.3.1 more than TRUNK or any other James snapshot.
>
> That's really too bad, since we know from empirical experience that JAMES
> 2.3 + my patches hold up to years of real-world production loads.  We have
> some justification that 2.3.x are OK because we're not getting reports of
> failures from end users.  We have not an iota of demonstrable quality in
> trunk save for your unit tests, which while gratefully acknowledged and
> highly valued are *NOT* a sufficient indicator of real-world functionality,
> nor do they in any way speak to performance or design issues.

I agree. (Except that Stefano must be credited for most of the unit
tests, actually, not me.)
I know what unit test are good for and what functional tests are good for.

>> And we all know that TRUNK is not tested in the small. So proposing to
>> expose it in the large while at the same time repeating the mantra of
>> "TRUNK implements Disposable" just doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Well, then let me make this clear.
>
> The proposal is based on the fact that every message delivered to the zone
> will be disposable spam.  Therefore, unlike performing some sort of faux
> release without any basis, we will be testing in a risk-free environment.
> Every message can be dropped, the database can be corrupted, the server can
> leak memory and crash, and no one should care other than to fix it.

Then you are talking about a closed environment test, so do I.

> As an example of why this sort of testing is the right thing to do, rather
> than the idiocy of pushing out releases without real-world testing, consider
> our current situation with SVN.

I never said we should release without testing beforehand.
It is you who is ignoring the fact we have a safe black box testing tool
right here in our project.

At the bottom line, I am happy that there seems to emerge some kind of
common goal to start from TRUNK and put it into heavy testing, be it on
a Solaris zone or locally using Postage. This is actually what I am
proposing for weeks and months now.

+1, count me in.

   Bernd