james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Milestone from trunk
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 07:54:45 GMT
Serge Knystautas wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>>  So what I propose is that we setup a JAMES zone, and start to deploy JAMES
>>  in that zone.  That will be published in the DNS, and quite shortly we
>>  should start to see a lot of connections coming to it as millions of
>>  spambots start to exercise JAMES for us.  So we'll have a built-in load test
>>  running, courtesy of the botnets, and we can just watch the build work or
>>  crash in flames without any concern for lost messages.  We will need to be
>>  careful to initially disable the ability to send mail, and open it up very
>>  carefully to make sure that we don't accidentally create a relay of any
>>  kind.  We could, for example, setup an SMTPS handler, and allow PMC members
>>  to send via it, or alternatively, allow relaying only when the connection
>>  comes from p.a.o.
>
> I see no reason to object to this proposal.  If this helps give Noel
> extra confidence in the codebase and it does not create extra burden
> on other committers, why say anything but "sounds great"?

"extra confidence" :-)

Sounds great, but going into testing with TRUNK essentially was proposed
for month. Now someone who torpedoed this approach and repeatedly said:
"Don't even look at this code" reiterates this. That really makes me
happy, but it sounded great to me months ago already.

Now let's get this zone up and running.
Maybe Norman can fill us in about when new zones will be available.
IIRC, at ApacheCon he said that the machine hosting the zones needs
upgrades before new zones can be added.

   Bernd