james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Milestone from trunk
Date Sat, 03 May 2008 11:38:35 GMT
Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> That sort of thinking led Stefano to push to rush out v2.3.0 over my
>> objections that there was a critical memory leak.
> This is an obvious attempt to discredit other committers and bring back
> the old hostile atmosphere we were able to overcome lately.

No, it is an attempt to discredit false lines of reasoning about code
quality.  Software engineering theory aside, until we put the code into
real-world situations and not sanitized conditions, we have little basis for
claiming how it will work in the real-world.  And we certainly don't have
any basis under software engineering for deriving a claim, since we have
never applied any to the code.  And a mail server must be considered
reliable and solid in real-world use.

	--- Noel