james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [jsieve] Any more TODO before 0.2 release?
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:31:02 GMT
Jukka Zitting ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
>> I would simply need maven to generate the NOTICE/LICENSE for dependencies
>> I'm including with the "assembly" plugin and its dependencySets feature!
>> With this plugin maven is really aware of what dependencies I am including
>> in the resulting package. I tell maven to include <scope>runtime</scope>
in
>> the lib folder: this is enough to create an appropriate NOTICE/LICENSE.
>
> How would you do this with Ant? By having separate NOTICE and LICENSE
> files to be included in the resulting package. My point is that you
> can do the exactly same thing with Maven with minimal complexity. Is
> it really imperative that Maven does this automatically?

I agree! Maven is not better than Ant. My issue was that Ant never tried
to solve that issue, instead maven is trying since 2 years, some maven
people speak about this issue as "resolved" by the remote resources, but
instead that approach has a VERY LIMITED applicability, so it is simply
an unresolved issue.

> The fact that things like m-r-r-p are not sophisticated enough to do
> this properly is no reason why you couldn't achieve the same result
> with just a little bit of extra work.

I have no knowledge to create a plugin or alter the assembly plugin to
improve this by maven.
If I have to do that by manually including different files in different
assembled artifacts, well, then this is not different than what I did in
ANT, and I will stop using the m-r-r-p plugin because it solve a partial
problem in a very custom way and if I have to mantain 2xNOTICE +
2xLICENSE for our bin and src zip distributions then I don't see much
difference with mantaining 3xNOTICE and 3xLICENSE but having one less
plugin to take care of.

My conclusion is that I'm fine with that m-r-r-p do with an older (1.2)
apache-jar-resource-bundle instead of what it does with a newer one
(1.4). Using 1.2 and adding something to the postProjectText property in
the pom allow me to create a complete LICENSE/NOTICE for the source with
all dependencies distribution. Any other redistributable we have
includes less stuff, so something will be superfluous, but at least I
have few configuration, a simple build tool and a single LICENSE/NOTICE
tuple to review (automatically mantained by maven).

I'm simply saying that I agree with David that each package should have
its own specific NOTICE/LICENSE but IMHO at the moment it doesn't worth
the effort until maven will give us a better solution. This was valid
for ant too: we always published the same NOTICE/LICENSE files in our
bin/src/jar distributions built with ant in this years.

Stefano