james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Two builds [was: Re: Embedding James in a Java application]
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:00:19 GMT
Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

I  have been
Some missing

>>> No please not stop ....
>> +1
>
> +1
>
> This was not meant as a criticism towards maintaining a maven build,
> or an ant build or their maintainers.
> I thought it was worth pointing out that _two_ builds means doubled work.

Don't you think that by working on both build systems I was really aware
of that? ;-)

But I think that it doesn't worth to keep discussing about maven vs ant
as we have some people that will veto a move to maven (at least Noel,
IIRC) and we have a website requiring the maven poms to be built. So
unless someone write an ant based website or some people change his mind
we can only keep duplicating our efforts.

It is better to waste time mantaining 2 build systems (as long as we
have 2 volounteers doing this) instead of wasting our time in flame wars.

> Since there is nobody else than me sceptical abouth the remote
> repository approach, it doesn't make sense insisting on it.

I'm skeptical too about remote repositories, but I would prefer a single
maven build than what we have now. IMHO it is an issue, but not so big
to waste our very limited resources mantaining 2 build systems.

> I will try to find a solution for myself which works on my machines.

The big issue is the licensing of pom files: our local stage repository
hack was almost a solution for offline build, but now we front a much
bigger issue with the pom licensing.
http://markmail.org/message/neeokjoiemdft6qd
http://markmail.org/message/v7qlf57wiu6wsagg
http://markmail.org/message/xvhsfpvypipb5nbz

> I'd rather not stand on peoples feet here and am open to discuss to
> completely switch over to maven.

I won't propose such a thing because I don't want to push anything, but
I'll +1 a similar proposal.

> It's better to have only one maven build than two concurrent builds.
>
>   Bernd

I agree but in fact I remember people complaining because we don't have
a build.xml in jSPF (that we always and only ever built with maven) so I
don't think  the PMC will find consensus on moving to maven only for
jSieve, postage, mailet products, james-server. All of them have a
duplicate build system ATM.

Stefano