james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Fetchmail issues? (Was: Geronimo-JAMES integration)
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:19:15 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>> i'm pretty sure that it fetchmail is the direct cause but i believe
>>> that it's indirectly related to the spool design. do you run
>>> fetchmail?
>> I run fetchmail with few (<10) remote pop3 mailboxes and a limited number of
>> messages (<1000/day).
>
> about the same as me :-/

I don't understand how fetchmail and the spool can cooperate in an OOM:
FetchMail send messages to the "spool" via the MailServer service, the
same way the SMTPServer does, so it should not make any difference in
this "spool" aspect.

>> Is it a deadlock issue, an OOM issue or what else?
>
> OOM
>
> i should probably profile

you should :-)
at least an -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError or jinfo -flag
+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError <pid> !

>> I made a refactoring for fetchmail almost 2 years ago. It is attached to a
>> JIRA issue because it started a flame [...]
>
> i was planning a complete rewrite: i would prefer to use a direct POP3
> client plus messaging

This would be a better option, for sure!

Stefano