james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ihsiak <ihs...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Imap status
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:38:23 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin pisze:
> On 6/4/08, Ihsiak <ihsiak@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>
> Hi
>
>>   I am part of a team that works on integrating James with webbased
>> mailing solution. So far, we have sucessfully developed integration for
>> smtp and pop3, and now we are going to work on IMAP. I know that current
>> IMAP is not production ready - yet, so we want to work closely with you
>> and make it better (for you) and usefull (for us). If we get permission,
>> therewill be probably 2 persons available for about 2-3 months for that
>> project. But before we get to that I need to know what's current stare
>> of IMAP code, and what areas requies work. Can anyone describe it to me?
>
> There are currently two IMAP implementations on trunk. One has a
> straightforward design and is currently unmaintained. The second is an
> experimental rewrite. This code is under active development but is
> difficult to work with (my interest is in advanced high performance
> mail architectures and it's an in-place rewrite since I use it for my
> mail).
>
> The main implementation is incomplete, buggy and leaks memory. The new
> implementation works ok with the clients I use and is very close to
> being feature complete. But the original should be fixable by
> cross-porting.
> Which version interests you?

Definitely the second one (we don't want to duplicate integration work,
and do "waste" bug fixing on the old code, and then on the new one).

We should be able to donate two persons to work on that project - can
you estimate how long it would take to complete "feature complete"
version (count us too, but keep in mind that we have to get familiar
with the code first).

--
regards
Bartosz Tomasik