james-server-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [jsieve] Any more TODO before 0.2 release?
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:49:55 GMT
<unsolicited build advice>
I glanced over the pom and have a couple comments:

1. After a lot of discussion on legal discuss the appropriate contents
of LICENSE and NOTICE files is to include only wording that applies to
what is actually in the jars.  This is encoded in apache-jar-resource-
bundle-1.4.jar (you use 1.2).  In particular unless you are including
the junit jar in one of the generated jars the extra comment is
unnecessary and wrong.  The 1.4 resource bundle also generates a
DEPENDENCIES file that lists all the jar's dependencies: this is
purely for user's possible convenience.

2.  I recommend listing the plugins in a pluginManagement section and
leaving out the versions in the build and report sections.

3. I strongly recommend setting up a release profile and using the
release plugin.  I did this in geronimo and a couple other projects.
The latest is the activemq release profile
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/trunk/pom.xml
This profile does the build, including source and javadoc jars, signs
everything, and uploads to a staging area typically on
people.apache.org.  It requires some settings in your settings.xml
file, see intstructions at http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-release-process.html

4. The scm info appears to be missing.  That makes it really hard for
people to find where the project lives given the pom.

</unsolicited build advice>

thanks
david jencks