james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jsieve] Any more TODO before 0.2 release?
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:53:38 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> I would like maven to address this issue someway: are we the only maven
> based project creating the jar, source-jar, javadoc-jar,
> bin-zip-with-runtime-dependencies, src-zip-with-all-dependencies ? I don't
> this so.

We just had a good discussion about this issue in the Sling/Jackrabbit
land. Our conclusion was that if the build script (Maven in this case)
puts external stuff (i.e. not contained in the svn checkout/source
release) in the resulting build artifact, then it should also take
care of attaching proper LICENSE and NOTICE files to that artifact.
However, it looks like the <dependencies/> configuration (and related
m-r-r-p stuff) is not flexible enough to cover that, so we ended up
maintaining the "binary" LICENSE and NOTICE files manually in
src/main/resources/META-INF and other similar locations. It's
straightforward to configure for example the assembly plugin to pick
up appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files to be included in the
assembled artifact.

> What scare me is that maven is an ASF project and after so many years it
> still does not accomplish ASF requirements out of the box.

Similarly Ant has been an ASF project for ages and it doesn't do
anything about LICENSE and NOTICE files. The collection and
maintenance of proper license and copyright information is a project
issue not a tool issue, so I wouldn't put blame on Maven about this.
We're still learning how to best work with the central repository and
automatically downloaded dependencies and perhaps Maven one day will
contain proper tools to automate some of the related legal work, but
even today it doesn't prevent us from doing the right thing.

BR,

Jukka Zitting