james-server-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [jsieve] Any more TODO before 0.2 release?
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:18:22 GMT

On Jun 18, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> David Jencks ha scritto:
>> Thinking about the situation a little more....
>> the normal maven generated artifacts (jar, source, javadoc jars)
>> can get  the m-r-r-p generated legal files as they include what
>> maven expects from these artifacts
>> On the other hand, you need to have hardcoded LICENSE and NOTICE
>> files in svn at the expected checkout root that apply to everything
>> in the checkout.  Since you have the maven repo in the checkout,
>> you have to include all the legal goo for everything in the repo in
>> those LICENSE and NOTICE files; thus they will also be suitable for
>> the distro zip/tar.gzs.
>> Does that make sense?
>
> This wouldn't solve the binary zip distribution: it includes and
> redistribute the runtime dependencies.
> We would need another LICENSE/NOTICE tuple for it :-(

I haven't studied the exact contents of all the generated files and I
may not have outlined all the legal requirements as I understand
them... let me try again:

1. an svn checkout must include at the root a LICENSE and NOTICE file
that applies to the entire content of the svn checkout.  Here that
would include the bits for the stuff in the svn repo (stage dir).  You
can't generate this, it has to be in svn.
2. each artifact distributed from apache must include a LICENSE and
NOTICE file applying to the contents of that artifact.

IIUC since james source doesn't include code that is from elsewhere
with different licensing/notice requirements, any jar/source-jar/
javadoc-jar of james code thus needs the standard boilerplate LICENSE
and NOTICE file; you probably want to include the project name in the
NOTICE file; this is exactly what you get from the m-r-r-p without any
additions.  Using m-r-r-p means you don't need to deal with one copy
of these files per maven module, and that if the language changes,
maven will fix it for you when you update plugin versions.

Since IIUC the pmc policy here is that everything that is included in
the binary distros has to be in source or stage, it looks to me like
the required hardcoded-in-svn legal files for (1) would be the legal
files you'd need for the source and binary distros.

So, I'd use m-r-r-p for the normal maven jars and configure the
assembly plugin to include the legal files for (1) in the distros.

I started feeling much more strongly about making the NOTICE files
correct (without extra verbiage) after reading Roy Fieldings comments
on legal-discuss back in january on the LICENSE and NOTICE files and
SVN thread.

thanks
david jencks