james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Protocol Functional Test Suite
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:56:57 GMT
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> (stefano commented on my blog at
> http://www.jroller.com/robertburrelldonkin/entry/testing_protocols but
> i'd like to move it back to this list)
>
> the reason why an independent protocol testing product isn't suitable
> for JAMES is not community (i think that it'd fit in very well) but
> scope. a micro-library for functional testing wire protocols is
> clearly out of scope for JAMES.  it would be unusual but just about in
> scope for the commons. IIRC the commons sandbox has an open door
> policy towards committers from other projects so there wouldn't be any
> problem moving the community. the mailing list is high volume which
> might put some people off.

I'm very interested, with both my James and Vysper hats on.
I was just beginning to think about how ro play back XMPP commands in
an elegant way for functional testing.
But XMPP might go way beyond what is needed here with mail-related
protocols. For example since XMPP is based on XML, it also has the
variations of XML: two commands are the same, even if for example
attributes come in different order. RegEx might not help here anymore
while IMAP might be fine with using them.

  Bernd