james-server-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [jsieve] Any more TODO before 0.2 release?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:13:29 GMT

On Jun 17, 2008, at 12:50 AM, Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> David Jencks ha scritto:
>> <unsolicited build advice>
>> I glanced over the pom and have a couple comments:
>
> Thank you David, we need this kind of hints like gold, so next time
> feel free to use the <solicited> tag ;-)
>
>> 1. After a lot of discussion on legal discuss the appropriate
>> contents of LICENSE and NOTICE files is to include only wording
>> that applies to what is actually in the jars.  This is encoded in
>> apache-jar-resource-bundle-1.4.jar (you use 1.2).  In particular
>> unless you are including the junit jar in one of the generated jars
>> the extra comment is unnecessary and wrong.  The 1.4 resource
>> bundle also generates a DEPENDENCIES file that lists all the jar's
>> dependencies: this is purely for user's possible convenience.
>
> shame on me: I checked for updates but I only updated the maven-
> remote-resources-plugin and not the resource bundle version!! :-(
>
> I tested it now but it break our assembly because this way the
> "simple NOTICE" without references to junit and commons-logging
> references is included also in the bin with dependencies zip and in
> src with dependenciez zip.
> I also don't understand why it is completely ignoring our src\main
> \appended-resources\supplemental-models.xml file, but I'll
> investigate a bit more on this, ASAP.

I looked at the build a little bit more and, there may be problems
producing correct LICENSE/NOTICE files for all the artifact being
built.  I think this shows up one of the problems with the current
stage repo location.

The source and binary jars do not include junit so their LICENSE and
NOTICE files must not include them.  The distro assemblies do include
them so require a different LICENSE/NOTICE file.  So do the required
LICENSE/NOTICE files in svn at the checkout root.

For me this would be enough to put the stage repo in a different
module with separate legal goo files, so that the build requirements
don't get mixed up so much with the actual apache code in the module.
However opinions may differ on this.

Anyway I'm not sure what is breaking and what problems you are seeing.

>> 2.  I recommend listing the plugins in a pluginManagement section
>> and leaving out the versions in the build and report sections.
>
> What is the advantage in a single module product? Most plugins are
> used only once: wouldn't this simply duplicate the size of the pom?

I suggested this because I thought I saw several versions are repeated
in the build and reports section.  Speaking for myself I can't keep 2
copies of a version in sync.

>> 3. I strongly recommend setting up a release profile and using the
>> release plugin.  I did this in geronimo and a couple other
>> projects.  The latest is the activemq release profile
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/trunk/pom.xml
>> This profile does the build, including source and javadoc jars,
>> signs everything, and uploads to a staging area typically on
>> people.apache.org.  It requires some settings in your settings.xml
>> file, see intstructions at http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-release-process.html
>
> I used the resources you link many months ago when we made our first
> maven based release! Without that resourcs I could have never been
> success in accomplish the release process.
>
> All of this stuff should be in our parent pom:
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/org/apache/james/james-parent/1.1/james-parent-1.1.pom
>
> We used automatic sign/deploy/stage process for our mime4j and jspf
> releases and after few initial problems it worked very fine! I think
> I configured jSieve the same way, so it should work. Please let me
> know if I missed something!

I missed the contents of the parent pom.  In the next version of the
parent pom you might want to consider using the apache pom as a parent
as it includes a lot of the same info.

>> 4. The scm info appears to be missing.  That makes it really hard
>> for people to find where the project lives given the pom.
>
> I see them:
>  <scm>
>    <connection>
>      scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/jsieve/trunk