james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jsieve] Any more TODO before 0.2 release?
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:38:24 GMT
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:27 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> <total snip>
>
> So I seem to have provoked much more discussion than I intended here.

don't worry - seems to happen a lot here :-)

> I don't know if its best practice, policy, or my misunderstanding but I think
> the following are supposed to happen:
>
> 1. expected svn checkout points are supposed to include LICENSE and NOTICE
> files at their root covering everything in the checkout, and nothing else.
> These should be kept up to date via "best-effort" by the pmc and
> committers, and should definitely be accurate for svn tags.
>
> 2. released artifacts should include LICENSE and NOTICE files applying
> exactly to their content.   If this goal is not achieved, its better to have
> unnecessary stuff in the LICENSE/NOTICE files than missing stuff.
>
> For jsieve, I think these can be achieved simply by using the m-r-r-p with
> no appended stuff for LICENSE and NOTICE for the java, source, and javadoc
> jars, and using the svn LICENSE and NOTICE files for (1) in the distro
> bundles.
>
> To me, this seems easy, as simple as possible, and correct.

in terms of best practice, i think it's just about right. (you should
contribute a patch to the incubator release best practice
documentation.)

> I've lost track of the ensuing discussion.  Points (1) and (2) are my
> interpretation of what I thought was consensus reached on the legal-discuss
> list around dec-2007-jan-2008 leading up to release of the latest maven
> remote resource bundle for apache.  Getting it documented clearly would have
> been a good idea at the time but I was tired.

documentation is tough: i would describe this stuff as strongly
recommended best practice rather than mandatory policy ATM

- robert