james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE/NOTICE/policies/ASF/law (Was: [jsieve] Any more TODO before 0.2 release?)
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:59:18 GMT
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>> That's why I used quotes, and "his style" is what created this ambiguity
>>> ;-)
>>> A directive would have created a certain result, this way people keep
>>> asking
>>> what we have to do, most project put all the licenses in the LICENSE
>>> file,
>>> but Daniel placed license references in the NOTICE and it seems Cliff
>>> approved that work ;-)
>>
>> copyright law is rarely categorical: it's tough to come up with a good
>> general rule which can be blindly applied
>>
>> AIUI policy is relatively flexible about placement but best practice
>> is to be encouraged
>
> I agree. Someone with the right skills (a lawyer) should take the
> responsibility to encourage the best practice by suggesting a policy: if
> this responsibility is not taken by people with appropriate skills it
> will anyway be taken from someone else and the result will be worse.

No - lawyers are not the right people to ask to define policy. Apache
is a charity and has ethical concerns above and beyond copyright law.
We retain legal councils (thanks everyone :-) but we respect their
time and so refrain from consulting them formally unless neccessary.
Legal discuss has several people with legal training who offer input
(on occassion) but not opinions.

>>> Maybe, sorry but even a dictionary does not help too much with this
>>> terms:
>>> in italian they often are synonymous.
>>
>> culpability is about the apportioning of blame and so it typically
>> used in a negative sense. in this context, it finding of blame by the
>> legal system. responsibility is more about ethics, morality and duty.
>> one may be responsible for a deed but others may be found culpable in
>> law for it.
>
> I definitely meant culpability, then.

>>> Ok, so there is no NOTICE file within the work, because the work is the
>>> fiel
>>> that should be referred in the NOTICE file.
>>>
>>> If instead you create an archive and inside the archive you have both the
>>> "single file" and the NOTICE then there is a NOTICE file distributed with
>>> the work.
>>>
>>> Otherwise if the fact that a file in a folder of an http server
>>> (subversion
>>> is not different from it) and another NOTICE file is in a different
>>> folder
>>> means that it is "distributed with" the first file simply because it uses
>>> the same distribution mechanism and the same source then this would be a
>>> big
>>> issue, because if we have a GPL file in the same server every other file
>>> from the same server will be hit by the GPL virality: fortunately people
>>> (lawyers) already agreed that this is not the case.
>>
>> the GPL specifically addresses aggregation in this particular fashion
>
> I agree with this if we talk about GPL3. But GPLv2 ? Is this addressed?
> Where/How?

See section starting "In addition mere aggregation"

>>> Sure, don't take me so "hard" as I seem: I just want to understand and I
>>> hate when I think I understood something and instead history keeps
>>> repeating
>>> with topics revamped over and over again.
>>> The *fact* is that most ASF committers do not understand this matter and
>>> most ASF committers do not even care for this while the *problem* is that
>>> there is too many committers spreading personal preferences as
>>> LAWS/RULES/POLICIES when they are not ;-)
>>
>> energy is required to change and improve things.
>
> I have energy :-)
> Often I would like to flame less and improve things more, but having
> energy spent without direction/control is wasted energy.

>>> THANK YOU! This is a first step.
>>>
>>> here: http://www.apache.org/foundation/ i see:
>>> "V.P., Legal Affairs    Sam Ruby"
>>> On www.apache.org I cannot find who are "committers" for "infrastructure"
>>> and "legal-affairs", but at least I have a "V.P."..
>>
>> there committees lack public documentation
>
> This is an issue: we are part of the ASF and we don't have information
> on people having such an important role for our community.

Submit a patch ;-)