james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [mime4j] BufferingInputStreamAdaptor => BufferedInputStreamFilter
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:02:00 GMT
Oleg Kalnichevski ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> In java core classes a stream wrapping another stream extends
>> FilterInputStream. BufferingInputStreamAdaptor cannot extends
>> BufferingInputStream and FilterInputStream because we don't have
>> polymorphism, but I think we should better name the class
>> BufferingInputStreamFilter because Adaptor let me think of something
>> converting an object in another type of objects, instead this simply
>> wrap a stream adding buffering.
>>

> Stefano,
>
> BufferingInputStreamAdaptor does not really add buffering to a stream.
> It rather adds ability to read lines to input steams that do not support
> BufferingInputStream interface natively. Thus, I felt adapter was a
> better name for this class. I personally find filter misleading as there
> is no filtering going on in this class.

Make sense! Thank you for the explanation.

Filter would not be bad anyway because of this javadoc from
FilterInputStream: "A FilterInputStream contains some other input
stream, which it uses as its basic source of data, *possibly*
transforming the data along the way *or* providing *additional*
functionality", but I now agree that BufferedInputStreamFilter would be
much more misleading than the current name.

> Anyways I will not stand in your way if you think differently
>
> Oleg

If we apply MIME4J-50 we have

FilterInputStream
'- BufferingInputStream
    |- BufferingInputStreamAdaptor
    |- InputBuffer
    '- MimeBoundaryInputStream

In fact only InputBuffer and MimeBoundartInputStream provide buffering
while "BufferingInputStream" is an abstract for "line reading to buffers".

Maybe we should rename the tree somehow similar to this:

FilterInputStream
'- LineReaderInputStream
    |- BufferedInputStream
    '- MimeBoundaryInputStream

And have LineReaderInputStream already including the current
BufferingInputStreamAdaptor code. We just don't need the abstract if we
have a simple class for the most basic implementation.

WDYT?

Stefano