james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Writing Installer for James
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:15:53 GMT
I'm replying only to server-dev (crossposting is bad as pleople
subscribed to both list will receive the message twice).

Please subscribe to the server-dev list if you plan to deal with
developing aspects.

Athar Shiraz Siddiqui ha scritto:
> If you look at apache web server's windows installer :
> http://ftp.wayne.edu/apache/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_2.2.9-win32-x86-no_ssl-r2.msi
>
> Click on "next" after opening the file... you will see that they are
> using Installshield.

Thank you! Interesting.
I wonder if they obtained an Apache wide / HTTPD PMC wide license for
the product or how they dealt with this. We may ask them!

> That is go to http://www.installshield.com/
> that is also a commercial product just like setupbuilder.

The problem with apache is that to be able to release something from
apache the release manager need the tool to make the release.
Not every release manager use windows at all, and none of them has a
license of this commercial products, so we have to understand how other
Apache projects dealt with this.

Thank you,
Stefano