james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [Mime4j] 24 Test Failures
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:52:21 GMT
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 17:40, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Niklas Therning ha scritto:
>>
>> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>>>
>>> So you prefer to not have bug-proving tests. I just understood this, but
>>> this is simply a matter of preference, so rather than disappoint each other
>>> we can discuss a common way to deal with this.
>>> Most of them have opened threads/jiras waiting for more input, feel free
>>> to add your knowledge to that threads so we can close them ASAP.
>>
>> My preference is to have tests that pass in trunk. I'd rather have the
>> test cases that prove a bug in JIRA. Once a bug has been fixed the test case
>> will of course be added to trunk to prove that it has been fixed.
>>
>> /Niklas
>
> How do you (you all) suggest to deal with situation like the recent
> MIME4J-59 that made 3 tests to fail?
>
> 1) Should we wait committing a fix for a critical bug until we are sure all
> tests pass?
> 2) Should we commit them and leave the new test failing (to be solved ASAP
> but not a requirement for the author of the first fix)
> 3) Should we remove the failing tests and open a JIRA issue with them?
>
> My preference goes to #2.

-1 to 2).

Many failing tests for hard-to-fix bugs in trunk is not good because
it obviously frustrates active contributors (though not every single
contributor, I have to admit). I am investing at least 30 minutes a
day currently just to read mime4j mail, the pure volume is
overwhelming. So I can imagine that running into a broken trunk from
one day to another is not fun.

I saw at least 3 hands from active mime4j contributors raised asking
(explicitly or implicitly) to slow down (which is a majority) so I
propose to do exactly that.

Thanks,

  Bernd