james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [imap] unit test failure under Java 1.4 / Win32 because of path length issues
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2008 05:27:21 GMT
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Stefano Bagnara ha scritto:
>>
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>>  windows?
>>
>> Yes, Windows Vista Hope Premium x86/ITA
>
> I guess this could be the cause:
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4403166
>
> Windows NT + on NTFS does indeed support very long (255+) file names, but
> java 1.4 on windows does not.

good hunting, sounds about right 8-)

> Either we try to use shorter names or we write somewhere that under windows
> we don't support java 1.4.

that particular implementation is a bit of a toy anyway, not something
i'd recommend using in production. feel free to note that IMAP
subscriptions for deeply nested directory structures are not supported
on windows when using Java1.4 and that particular user preference
backend. or just patch the code or the test.

i'm now think that factoring out an API was a poor tradeoff. so this
will probably end up being deleted. i'm now in favour of pushing all
the function required by IMAP into the mailbox API and letting the
backend sort out the implementation. this task was waiting for the
backend rewrite, though.

- robert