james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [mime4j] what else need to be done (Was: Benchmark of 0.3 vs 0.4)
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:07:18 GMT
Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 13:41, Niklas Therning <niklas@trillian.se> wrote:
>> Stefano Bagnara wrote:

>>> Just to make it clear that I agree with you two, too. I simply dumped the
>>> JIRA status and told that I had nothing against moving every open issue to
>>> 0.5. So, if no one object on this we now miss only the volunteer that will
>>> act as the release manager.
>> Ok, great. I have no idea of what it takes to do a release I'm afraid.
>> Someone else?
>>
>>> After your benchmark I applied the package refactoring I proposed in
>>> MIME4J-51, so I'd like you and Oleg to try updating your client code to see
>>> how many changes are needed and if the new structure make sense. This is
>>> something I would avoid changing too often, so it is better to vet it now
>>> before we write it in the stone with a release.
>>>
>> I'm afraid I have missed the whole "review packaging" discussion, I hope I'm
>> not too late. :) I'd prefer to have MimeStreamParser and MimeTokenStream in
>> the root package if possible. That would be the most natural thing I think
>> since those are by far the most central classes. I also think ContentHandler
>> and AbstractContentHandler could go in the root package. With these changes
>> the upgrade effort for me would be close to none since what we use is
>> probably only MimeStreamParser, ContentHandler and BodyDescriptor. I
>> understand that this would introduce some cycles but I still think that it
>> would make Mime4j a lot easier to use for the end user. I'd rather have some
>> cyclic dependencies if it makes the whole thing easier to understand.
>
> +1
>
> Analysing package dependency statistics and correcting most cyclic
> dependencies is good and very helpful. In my opinion, going as far as
> putting up a zero-cycles-policy makes more user-friendly and pragmatic
> solutions like the proposed one impossible. I am repeating myself by
> saying that exposing the central classes in the root package is by far
> the most user friendly.

Niklas, Bernd, please can you make a concrete list of changes you
propose (against current trunk or against the tree before my change) if
this is not one of the 4 solutions I listed in a recent answer to this
thread so that we can add a 5th solution to this issue and we can cast
our preferences and see where the consensus build?

I happen to share only the concern that this change require updates for
old version users. I don't shared the "user-friendly" and "pragmatic"
concerns. IMHO a parser package is much more user-friendly and pragmatic
than having 20 classes in the main package even if I ignore the cycles
issue. So it is matter of opinions, we should simply poll to see where
the majority is.

Good packaging and no cycles is also very important if you plan to
embrace library management tools ala OSGi, but they are not a blocker
for me.

I also think that adding documentation could take less time than all of
this discussions and would be more user-friendly, but this is utopia
existing only in my mind.

The most user friendly action we can do is releasing, so I'm happy with
any solution you will agree upon as long as it will not delay the
release (ok, we are not in hurry as we don't have a release manager,
yet, so take your time).

Stefano

PS: I repeat myself that discussion before commit and RTC does not worth
too much here and really prefer CTR and vetos, because how we do stuff
now is discuss a lot, find somehow an agreement, make a branch, have
people review, commit and only then other people care of what you
committed and complain. I'm not saying that this discussion is not
good..but I hope people will remember this thing when I'll give up
waiting weeks to form a consensus before committing code. If I committed
this stuff as the first step we would be here discussing the same way,
but at least I would have not lost time preparing a demonstrative
branch, a proposal, a JIRA issue, collecting opinions and trying to find
consensus. Is there a more agile way for us?