james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [mime4j] what else need to be done (Was: Benchmark of 0.3 vs 0.4)
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:52:56 GMT
Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 18:07, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
>> Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:

I don't have

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Analysing package dependency statistics and correcting most cyclic
>>> dependencies is good and very helpful. In my opinion, going as far as
>>> putting up a zero-cycles-policy makes more user-friendly and pragmatic
>>> solutions like the proposed one impossible. I am repeating myself by
>>> saying that exposing the central classes in the root package is by far
>>> the most user friendly.
>> Niklas, Bernd, please can you make a concrete list of changes you propose
>> (against current trunk or against the tree before my change) if this is not
>> one of the 4 solutions I listed in a recent answer to this thread so that we
>> can add a 5th solution to this issue and we can cast our preferences and see
>> where the consensus build?
>>
>> I happen to share only the concern that this change require updates for old
>> version users. I don't shared the "user-friendly" and "pragmatic" concerns.
>> IMHO a parser package is much more user-friendly and pragmatic than having
>> 20 classes in the main package even if I ignore the cycles issue. So it is
>> matter of opinions, we should simply poll to see where the majority is.
>
> I think Niklas could not have been more concrete by saying that...
> "I'd prefer to have MimeStreamParser and MimeTokenStream in the root
> package if possible. That would be the most natural thing I think
> since those are by far the most central classes. I also think
> ContentHandler and AbstractContentHandler could go in the root
> package."

So the concrete proposal is that we move the 4 classes to the main package?
The same thing could be accomplished with inverting code and parser, so
until he will reply imho it was not obvious that what he proposed was
moving the 4 classes and was fine with it.

The 4 classes and no other class?

> If these are the only classes in root, that's fine with me and that's
> the proposed change, as I understand it.
> What's still unclear about it?

Not sure I fully have it clear, sorry: what about the current 4 classes
we have in the main package?

Furthermore: what is the advantage of the new structure if we don't
solve the MIME4J-51 issue?

*If*, and I'd like to test this too, the majority think that cyclic
dependency is not an issue then why should we move classes around at
all? IMHO the change itself is an issue for anyone upgrading, so if we
don't improve something (e.g: remove cycles) it does not worth applying
the patch at all.

So, before running a poll, I'd like to understand exactly what are the
proposed options.

IMHO this one (use the new structure but move some class from parser to
main) is the worst of the 5 analyzed, but I won't veto it, so if this is
what the majority wants, I'm fine with it.

Stefano