james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject [server.trunk] modules/package refactoring
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:57:58 GMT
Hi all,

After I moved tests in the right places (excluding IMAP), I'd like to
sort out a better structure for our modules.
IMHO we have some modules that is not appropriate (domain-api, as an
example, contains unrelated interfaces, does not need to exist) and we
have the core-module that should be splitted into multiple modules.

The first thing I'd like to do is to create a "server-library" (or maybe
a listener-library / daemon-library) including code that is used by
services listening (pop3server, smtpserver, imapserver, nntpserver,
remotemanager).

Then I also think we should start repackaging code: we have too many
modules sharing packages with other modules. I'd like to fix this at
least for classes not being used in configuration files (to not break
backward compatibility).

I don't want to make a proposal for each change because it would take
too much time, and I cannot know what to propose until I put my hands on
the code.

Let me know if you want me to do this and how to proceed (work in trunk,
create a branch, work on my disk and put a big zip with the result in a
JIRA issue, do nothing).

Stefano