james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: JAMES Projects on Hudson
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 16:13:53 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>> Providing that mail is only sent on failure, I think this list should
>>> be ok. If we need to reduce traffic all the admin stuff (commits, JIRA
>>> etc) should be moved together. We've had 600ish messages this month so
>>> maybe that's worth considering.
>> Moving "admin stuff" to a separate list could help not loosing important
>> discussion and procedural threads between svn committs and JIRA updates.
>>
>> On the other hand we tend to mix discussions in JIRA and the mailing list so
>> we should agree on the way to deal with it before planning a switch, IMHO.
>
> set an appropriate reply-to usually works ok for most clients

My concern was about discussions happening via JIRA comments, they would
not go through the discussion list, but only the admin list. Currently a
JIRA comment is the substitute for a mailing list post. If we move JIRA
notifications to an admin list beside svn comments they will loose
visibility to developers not subscribed to the notification list.

>> If only JIRA could track mailing list messages having its identifiers in the
>> subject the same way it deals with svn commit I would be happy to move all
>> discussions out of JIRA, but ATM I think slow discussions about specific
>> issues are better handled in JIRA because they are better organized and
>> tracked and they serve as future reference when people will look at the same
>> issue again in the next years. We have experience of issues discussed
>> multiple times and open since years.
>
> might be worth raising this on infra

I searched the internet. I see that a similar plugin does not exists.
There is a JIRA-NNTP bridge, but there is no NNTP server for ASF lists,
so it is not an option. Weird, indeed, I thought it was something more
used/requested around the world.

>> Maybe we could move svn commits and the notifications to their own list as a
>> first step while keep JIRAs on server-dev... WDYT?
>
> fine by me

What is the list name used by other projects in this cases?
notifications@james.a.o?

Stefano