james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: phoenix-deployment tests status
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:16:49 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've moved most tests from the phoenix-deployment module to the module
>> of the class they was testing.
>>
>> The only remaining tests are the imap tests.
>>
>> THe issue with imap tests is that they depends both on
>> imapserver-function and torque-mailboxmanager-function.
>> torque-mailboxmanager-function could be moved down to a library but it
>> depends on mailbox-library so it cannot be a library (for the ant build
>> requirement).
>>
>> mailbox-library should not have dependencies on the rest of james, so it
>> could be even named mailbox-api so to be able to rename
>> torque-mailboxmanager-function to torque-mailboxmanager-library and have
>> the tests moved to imapserver-function (because imapserver-function
>> could then depend on torque-mailboxmanager-library).
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I have a plan in mind but I had intended to post it as a proposal.
>
> IMAP is now approaching the stage where I think it best to
 > delete the old implementation

+1

> eliminate the small codependecies remaining outside deployment  and move
 > out of server.
> This would allow a milestone to be cut before I start into refactoring
 > the data access, etc
>
> I think removing IMAP as a codebase would make JAMES server more
> approachable and using a static IMAP implementation would increase the
> likelihood of a milestone for the server.

-0, unless there is a real proposal to cut a milestone without imap and
a release manager willing to do that. In this case +0 (I still think
that a milestone should include everything we have in trunk..
stable/unstable/experimental stuff... user feedback is important
also/expecially for unstable/experimental stuff).

It's 2 years we talk about the increased "releasability" of what we have
in the repository, but it's 2 years I don't see real releases. Keep
moving code around will not make a release to magically happen, simply
it will keep us busy updating dependencies and build scripts. Ok, this
may be funny... but 2 years are 2 years ;-)

Stefano