james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [mime4j] what else need to be done (Was: Benchmark of 0.3 vs 0.4)
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:53:38 GMT
Niklas Therning ha scritto:
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm looking here:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

>>> I see 4 issues open for the 0.4 release:
>>>
>>> MIME4J-57 Add a max limit to header length for parsing.
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J-57
>>> - this seems critical because it may results in OOM/DoS, but we had
>>> this in past too, so could even be moved to 0.5.
>>>
>>> MIME4J-69 Decoding/encoding is not coherent between headers and body
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J-69
>>> - this probably is too complicate to delay a release and I don't have
>>> the evergy to discuss how it should be correctly solved, now. So if
>>> no one plan to work on it soon, it should be moved to 0.5.
>>>
>>> MIME4J-51 Remove cyclic dependencies and provide better organization
>>> of the source tree.
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J-51
>>> - I applied my proposed patch. There are concerns from you and Bernd
>>>   1) remove also the util package.
>>>   2) add a package documentation with examples and "parser" references.
>>> I personally don't care of #1, and if needed I can work on #2 but
>>> without examples, simply adding a package.html with one single
>>> sentence: "the main classes for the pull and SAX parser are in the
>>> parser package."
>>>
>>> MIME4J-27 [JW#7] Limitations Support
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J-27
>>> - No answers from Jochen to your question in a month. maybe it should
>>> be moved to 0.5.
>>>
>>> Once the 4 issues above have been solved (or postponed) we need a
>>> release manager.
>>>
>>> Nothing else I can remember now.
>>>

>> Stefano,
>>
>> None of these issues seems severe enough to block the 0.4 release. I
>> would very much appreciate if the 0.4 release could happen rather
>> sooner than later. It would be very unfortunate if we had to release
>> HttpClient 4.0-beta1 without the HttpMime module.
>>
>> Oleg
>
> I agree with Oleg. IMO these issues can be moved to 0.5.
>
> /Niklas

Just to make it clear that I agree with you two, too. I simply dumped
the JIRA status and told that I had nothing against moving every open
issue to 0.5. So, if no one object on this we now miss only the
volunteer that will act as the release manager.

After your benchmark I applied the package refactoring I proposed in
MIME4J-51, so I'd like you and Oleg to try updating your client code to
see how many changes are needed and if the new structure make sense.
This is something I would avoid changing too often, so it is better to
vet it now before we write it in the stone with a release.

Stefano