james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Therning <nik...@trillian.se>
Subject [Mime4j] Benchmark of 0.3 vs 0.4
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:51:15 GMT
Hi,

I've done some benchmarking of the recent performance improvements in
trunk vs Mime4j 0.3. I must say that the result is very promising! :)

I did my tests on about 130000 messages, most of them less than 10 kB in
size. All message files had been cached by the Linux file cache when I
conducted the tests so it doesn't take the disk I/O in consideration. I
guess I should also run the tests without the cache but I don't know how
to force it to flush. The test uses the SAX-like parser interface and a
ContentHandler which does nothing (only consumes the data).

Here are the 0.3 results:
  Statistics for all messages (130606)
  Total duration: 23830 ms
  Average duration: 0.182457 ms

  Statistics for all messages (124480) more than 0 kB and less than 10
kB in size
  Total duration: 15264 ms
  Average duration: 0.122622 ms

  Statistics for all messages (5934) more than 10 kB and less than 100
kB in size
  Total duration: 5173 ms
  Average duration: 0.871756 ms

  Statistics for all messages (161) more than 100 kB and less than 1000
kB in size
  Total duration: 1033 ms
  Average duration: 6.416149 ms

  Statistics for all messages (31) more than 1000 kB in size
  Total duration: 2360 ms
  Average duration: 76.129032 ms

And here are the 0.4 results:
  Statistics for all messages (130606)
  Total duration: 10069 ms
  Average duration: 0.077094 ms

  Statistics for all messages (124480) more than 0 kB and less than 10
kB in size
  Total duration: 8583 ms
  Average duration: 0.068951 ms

  Statistics for all messages (5934) more than 10 kB and less than 100
kB in size
  Total duration: 1106 ms
  Average duration: 0.186384 ms

  Statistics for all messages (161) more than 100 kB and less than 1000
kB in size
  Total duration: 115 ms
  Average duration: 0.714286 ms

  Statistics for all messages (31) more than 1000 kB in size
  Total duration: 265 ms
  Average duration: 8.548387 ms

As you can see 0.4 is about twice as fast on messages less than 10 kB in
size and about 10 times faster for messages larger than 100 kB. That is
quite amazing!

Please let me know if my benchmarking method is flawed in any way. I'm
attaching the source code of the test tool.

--
Niklas Therning
www.spamdrain.net