james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Therning <nik...@trillian.se>
Subject Re: [Mime4j] Benchmark of 0.3 vs 0.4
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 06:39:54 GMT
Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 13:51, Niklas Therning <niklas@trillian.se> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've done some benchmarking of the recent performance improvements in trunk
>> vs Mime4j 0.3. I must say that the result is very promising! :)
>>

> <snip/>
>

>> Please let me know if my benchmarking method is flawed in any way. I'm
>> attaching the source code of the test tool.
>>

> Did you do consistence checks by looking at what was actually returned
> when parsing? For example, if the parser throws exceptions early, it
> will indeed be faster than if it in fact processes all data. ;-)

Yes I did that some weeks ago, after Oleg's performance patches. This
test dumped the structure of all 130000 messages to XML files and also
decoded all base64 and qouted printable parts into separate files. After
some bugs were fixed I got almost exactly the same results as with 0.3.
The only difference was that some messages (about 10 out of the 130000)
had an extra newline in the parsed epilogue or preamble. I don't think
that is an issue so I ignored those differences.

/Niklas