james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Setting up james-testing
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:18:53 GMT
Hi,

We need to start eating our own dogfood, at least kind of. Otherwise, we
will never release any Mail Server again. :-) Soooo...

I am planning to set up a dedicated server for testing James Server
running under the domain james-testing.de .

It will be a virtual server with nothing else running than a current
off-the-trunk spring-deployment-flavored James. The OS will probably be
Debian Etch, heap will be under 1 GB (sorry for that).

I want this server to be accessible by all interested Server committers,
so providing shell logins is definitively planned.

To make this right, I need your input about how the Server and James in
particular should be configured concerning:

+ DNS
+ JDK (1.6? Harmony?)
+ java runtime properties/diagnostics
+ James Server config
+ Server Backend (dbfile or something else?)
   Note: I am not a big mySql fan, but could run it regardlessly

If this is all going well and nobody objects, I would check the
configuration into svn.

Then, when at some point we get a zone at the ASF, we could run a more
conservative setup there and an alternative setup on james-testing.de,
or whatever we come up with.

WDYT?

   Bernd