james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [postage] refresh
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:43:59 GMT
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 13:34, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I checked out postage to revamp the build and make sure it is self contained
> and build like every other product we have in the repository.

:-) Great, thanks.

> I locally updated both the ant and the m2 descriptors and updated the code
> to build against server trunk (of course this only changes how postage
> receive mails and not what server it can test).

I'm not sure I like that. My initial goal was to make Postage work
against the latest released (i.e. reasonably stable) server codebase.
This means it cannot break if something changes in TRUNK. I would
still opt for this goal unless there are good reasons not to.

> I'd like to remove java 1.4 support because it is a bit of a PITA to support
> conditional build because of missing JMX support.

:-)

> We are in 2008 and this is not a library but a tester tool, so I think
> requiring java 5 is really ok in this case.

+1

... which means Postage is again in the technological front-row of all
our products. ;-)

> Summary of changes:
> 1) add a stage folder with every jar needed to build/run the project (so to
> not have a JAMES_HOME folder to setup)

I would like to know what that would mean, also in the light of my
comments some paragraphs upwards.
(Short explanations are welcome ;-) )

> 2) remove java 1.4 support / conditional build.

+1

  Bernd