james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contribution from an ml post (Was: Problem with Bayesian Analysis)
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2008 13:43:11 GMT
On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> I know it's safer, but before writing to him I'd like to understand if
>>> in the case he doesn't want to create a JIRA account we have to reject
>>> this patch or there is a way to accept it anyway.
>>
>> JIRA is a convenience not a necessity. AL2.0 covers us ok but it's
>> best to be polite and ask. Some public record is a good idea in the
>> event of a dispute.
>> Robert
>
> That's what I thought. So in this case (we already solved it because he
> created a JIRA, and anyway we already had that patch in trunk from Norman,
> so there was no need for a contribution at all), I told the user that he
> could have contributed his patch if he wanted us to include it in the next
> release and he posted the snippet in reply to this message: this would have
> been enough as a "public record" for such a small contribution, right?

in the end, it's a judgement call with ethical and legal dimensions.
FWIW from the information you've provided, i would have made the same
call as you.

it's clearest to have a JIRA. in the old days, many (or indeed most)
patches were contributed via the mailing lists. so yes, that's good
enough but experience has taught that JIRA with active tickbox is a
much clearer. digging out information about contributions from mailing
lists and commit records takes time and is difficult.

- robert