james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [server.trunk] user-api and user-library package names
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 20:27:36 GMT
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 12:59 AM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> user-api and user-library seems almost ok as modules, but I feel the
> packages are wrong.

+1

> Is this something concerning also other developers or it's me too much
> strict wrt packages/dependencies and this stuff?

no: illuminated issues with packages was one reason why i started the
modularisation

> we have these packages in user-api:
> o.a.j.vut
> o.a.j.api.user
> o.a.j.services
>
> then we have these in user-library:
> o.a.j.core
> o.a.j.management
> o.a.j.security
> o.a.j.services
> o.a.j.userrepository
> o.a.j.util
> o.a.j.vut
> o.a.j (for JamesMBean)

i think that this is too many

i would prefer all api's to be packaged under o.a.j.api.**.* so that
interfaces used internally from those intended to allow external
extension and so on

> e.g:
>
> 1) o.a.j.security is only used by user-library in the whole tree and
> contains a single class. I'd like to move it to the generic "util-api"
> module or to move it in the same package of DefaultUser (as it is the only
> client for that class).

i have reservations about util-api but i'll detail these when i finish
an earlier mail

> 2) o.a.j.JamesMBean this is deprecated stuff, let's remove it, forever. We
> have much more/better management interfaces now.

+1

> 3) the remaining packages should be refactored and moved to the
> org.apache.james.user subpackage, introducing more nesting between api and
> library and leaving space for functions to sub-package api/library packages.

sounds reasonable

> 4) after #3 I hope (and I'd like) to be able to support backward
> compatibility by using a function module (or the phoenix-deployment module
> as we'll need to "repackage" also functions later) having classes in the old
> bad package.

i would like to see pheonix-deployed used to maintain compatibility

- robert