james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [trunk] -=IMAP
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:14:58 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>> i think i'm just about ready to move the IMAP related code (including
>>> mailbox etc) out from trunk and into protocols. hopefully, this should
>>> reduce the time that trunk takes to build and make the remaining
>>> codebase more accessible. i'll probably do a copy-then-prune followed
>>> by deletion in trunk. IMAP will be accessible as a set of libraries
>>> from pheonix-deployment.
>>>
>>> any objections?
>> Can you add somewhere in one of the 2 codebases the list of classes you
>> cloned to separate them? I'd like to have a good understanding (even in few
>> months) of what we duplicated around.
>
> copies tend to diverge but if you want i will do my best. how would
> like me to record this information?

Start with a reply to this mail... :-)
I'll understand if it worth registering it in a file in svn once I know
the content.

>> I checked out the illustrative sandbox but it does not build because of
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-862. The fixes for that issues
>> have been done in trunk and not in the sandbox.
>>
>> In the illustrative sandbox I see user-api in both product. I guess this is
>> not what you intend as the result.. so I'm not sure I understand what is the
>> purpose of the sandbox.
>
> the sandbox allowed me to trial the operation and find out what
> changes i needed to make in trunk before i could separate the
> codebases. it also illustrated how this operation could be performed.

I cannot +1  a "-=IMAP" if I don't know what is the result of this.

The sandbox includes user-api and phoenix-deployment. Are they intended
to be copied in the imap part, too? Otherwise can you update the sandbox
to show the final modules of your changes or alternatively write a list
of moved folders and a list of copied folders?

What will be the resulting dependency link between the 2 projects?
imap jars will be in server stage and they will be imported only from
deployment? From functions?

I'm not sure I understand if the avalon-socket-library is used by the
imap modules or not.

Stefano