james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Avalon, Pheonix And Layers
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2008 06:02:52 GMT
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 21:20, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
>> Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:

>>> [...]
>>> I never did it but you could even use sping's AOP, proxying and
>>> transaction support on these beans.
>>> I only scratched the surface of what can be done.
>>>
>>> one more exotic example: linking James and Vysper using Sieve, which
>>> is defined for both, email and xmpp.
>>
>> Cool!
>> I think this kind of use cases are what can make JAMES attractive for many.
>> Having a doc on how easy (and being sure it is easy ;-) ) to implement such
>> a thing in JAMES is something that give a feeling of JAMES flexibility.
>
> this is related to the total information management stuff
>
> i'd like to see james become a mail (not just email) hub. i would like
> to able to mix up messages (RSS, XMPP, RFC822) and process them. one
> of the reasons why i want to move protocols out as components is that
> i'd like to see james add support for other protocols using third
> party libraries such as vysper.

Yes, I have something similar in mind for information retrieval.
When it comes to server side handling though (routing, storing),
servers for the different channels (email, XMPP, SMS, Atom, Twitter)
show very different behavior in terms of CPU and memory consumption,
message flow, monitoring etc. Don't know if its worthwhile to put this
all into one server.

  Bernd