james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mailets] POJOs (and in particular SieveToMultiMailbox)
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:49:56 GMT
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:32 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

> FWIW although you have to supply some metadata (currently via code or
> annotations) Geronimo can construct components through constructor
> injection: there shouldn't be any problem constructing a maillet.
>
> I thought spring could too if you jumped through enough configuration hoops
> but I'm definitely not a spring expert.

i've read that it can (spring is pretty flexible)

> I am really really strongly in favor of constructor injection of final
> fields.

i use that pattern a lot since it has good concurrency characteristics
though setter injection is much more popular

(mailets should be protected by their container so this shouldn't be
such an issue in this case)

IMHO the best approach for the mailets James ships would to be
agnostic and support both types of injection by providing appropriate
setters and constructors

- robert