james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r692627 - /james/protocols/
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:50:21 GMT
On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> rdonkin@apache.org ha scritto:
>>
>> Author: rdonkin
>> Date: Sat Sep  6 03:41:26 2008
>> New Revision: 692627

>> Log:
>> Created directory to house protocols separated from server
>>
>> Added:
>>    james/protocols/
>
> Maybe IMAP is big enough to deserve a top level component (james/imap) so we
> don't increase our tree depth more than what we have now.
>
> mailet
> - mailet-api
> - mailet-base
> - mailet-crypto
> - mailet-standard
> - maven-mailet-report
> server
> - user-api
> - ...
> - phoenix-deployment
> jspf
> - resolver
> - tester
> mime4j
> jsieve
> - (maybe will be splitted)
> postage
>

> Adding a protocols increases the current tree depth from 2 to 3, while we
> only need imap ATM.
> imap
> - imap-api
> - ...
> - imap-function
>
> So I would prefer to have imap and not protocols and we can introduce
> protocols later once we'll have more than one product in there.

we discussed this before and your suggestion (which i agreed with) was
to adopt a design like mailet. i think mailet is working out quite
well. it's reasonably easy to create a good subsite. this process is
very much a draft and should be subject to a later review once
everything's more complete. so i'd much rather trial your original
proposal for a while.

it shouldn't be a big issue to reorganise stuff later. i don't propose
putting up a website etc until the changes have had a chance to bed in
and be reviewed. we may well end up deciding then that it's better to
switch to your new proposal.

- robert