james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r692627 - /james/protocols/
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2008 13:35:30 GMT
On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:

<snip>

> When we discussed this I thought you wanted to extract single module
> libraries.

no

the other protocols are much less complex than IMAP so they would
probably start with a single module.

> Istead imap is an almost complete imap server and not only a
> protocol handling library.

a server also requires appropriate socket work. my vision was that a
protocol library could be used quickly and efficient to build a server
just by adding socket work and storage. IMHO there's definitely a gap
in the market for this kind of product.

i admit that including a mailbox storage implementation with IMAP is a
slightly unconfortable expediency. the problem is that mailbox is not
a generic API and is hopelessly coupled to IMAP. experience has shown
that alternative implementations are not really possible. the internal
design is also completely wrong. fixing it will require a lot of work.

however, it is now a working IMAP server. once StartTLS is added into
the avalon sockets, it will be feature complete. AIUI IMAP is an
important feature for James 3.0. that's why i proposed cutting an IMAP
milestone from the current codebase before starting to rework mailbox
data access.

- robert