james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Wiederkehr" <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MIME4J - remove parent reference from Body?
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:32:39 GMT
Okay, I am overwhelmed by your many responses ;-)

In the meantime I have given it some thought and I think removing the parent
reference from Body is not such a good idea after all because with this
approach disposing a Message that shares body parts with another message
would destroy the other message.

So I propose something different. How about making Field, Header, Message
and Body cloneable?

What I have in mind is copying the structure of an e-mail without copying
the backing TempFiles. So for example two TempFileBinaryBodys could refer to
the same TempFile while maintaining a reference counter. The TempFile should
get deleted if both TempFileBinaryBodys are disposed.

This way one could clone an entire message and manipulate it or just clone a
BodyPart and attach it to another message.

I would like to implement this if you are interested in such a feature.

Thanks,
Markus

PS: and could someone please take a look at MIME4J-72, 80 and 81?