james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Wiederkehr" <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MIME4J - remove parent reference from Body?
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 18:32:59 GMT
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:36 PM, Bernd Fondermann <
bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I share the goal of having mutations of a mail without duplicating all
> related parts and underlying resources. But this has to be done
> thoughtfully.
> Incorporating this into the core container classes representing the
> message is not the way to go, I think.
> Managing (cloning, copying, cleaning up) a tree of message components
> are concerns that should be handled by a separate utility layer
> specialized classes.

Are you talking about using the visitor pattern? I can think of no other way
a separate utility layer could recursively clone the internal structure of a
message.

A visitor cannot be easily implemented because a) not all classes are public
(TempFileBinaryBody and TempFileTextBody) and b) the set of classes is open
for extension (a user could override MessageBuilder.body() to use custom
Body implementations).

Also, the underlying storage mechanism (tempory files currently)
> should be moved out so it becomes exchangable.

Are you aware of TempStorage.setInstance(TempStorage)?

> Hope this does not discourage you, because this is very important
> stuff which is in on/off discussion for a long time.

Not at all. If someone has a better idea let's go for it. But at the moment
I still believe that good old clone() would do a good job for this
particular problem.

Markus