james-server-dev mailing list archives

From jimmy35 <cboc...@unica.com>
Subject Re: Postage problems and questions
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2008 12:14:10 GMT

Bernd Fondermann-2 wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 18:00, jimmy35 <cbocach@unica.com> wrote:
>
> This depends on so many things, for example your DB if you not use
> file based storage.
> This is too hard to tell remotely. Try to understand where the
> bottlenecks are in your particular setup, if its OS, RAM, disk access,
> SQL, CPU, etc. etc.
> Postage just gives you reproduceable load on your machine. It's now up
> to you to interpret all the information you get from Postage and other
> tools (like system resource monitors) to come up with a optimization
> strategy.

Rather than continue with Postage, which I have relatively no experience
with, I switched to SilkPerformer and created an SMTP script to send my
emails over an even distribution of the inboxes I had created on James.
Glad to report that our latest test run processed 8,336 emails/min, used
minimal RAM and only used 15-19% of the server CPU.  An excellent jump from
where we were with Postage.  I'll post any further tuning findings I may
have.  Thank you for the assistance.

- Cory