james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [server] Java 5, Spring And Phoenix
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:43:11 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> i'm increasingly convinced that the 3.0 codebase contains some
> compelling reasons to upgrade. i think it's important to offer an
> upgrade path for existing installations including retaining 1.4 JVM
> support. this means preserving 1.4 compatibility in the API and
> library layers and in any functions that existing in james 2.
>
> i quite fancy experimenting with some stuff (for example OpenJPA) that
> requires java 5. IIRC there are already some optional modules which
> require a 1.5 JVM but i'd like to use a more regular system. i propose
> using module names to allow java5 in the function layer. for example,
> openjpa-java5 would act like openjpa-function but would only be
> compiled when a 1.5 JVM is used.
>
> any objections?
>
> going forward, this will result in the issue that - given the current
> build - new features would only be available atfer downloading the
> source and compiling with a 1.5 JVM. i would like to suggest the
> following long term strategy: we use the same module system but ship
> the phoenix built under 1.4 (without new features) and spring built
> under 1.5 (with the new features).
>
> opinions?

IMHO this is an useless waste of time :-)
Let's drop Java 2 1.4 and declare java 5 as a requisite.

Java 1.4 completed the EOL period 3 days ago: no one should seriusly use
java 2 1.4 in any internet exposed machine.
Unless we plan to include james in an applet or some old embedded device
(and I never read about this scenario in this lists) java 1.4
compatibility is useless.

Java 5 runtime already provides "an upgrade path for existing
installations" by smoothly running java 2 v1.4 code. This is true
expecially if you think that JAMES is run in its own virtual machine and
is not a component to be run inside old application servers.

Once we'll have a working java5 release *if* many users will ask for a
java 1.4 solution they can help us figuring it out using
retroweaver/translator.

Stefano