james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [server] Java 5, Spring And Phoenix
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:05:45 GMT
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
>> i quite fancy experimenting with some stuff (for example OpenJPA) that
>> requires java 5.
>
> I want to see annotations, myself.  And favor a move to Java 6, as long as
> we are making the big switch.
>
>> following long term strategy: we use the same module system but ship
>> the phoenix built under 1.4 (without new features) and spring built
>> under 1.5 (with the new features).
>
> -1 to Spring.  +1 for OSGi.

In my opinion Spring is a framework, OSGi a technology.
You can create OSGi components/services that internally use spring. You
probably could create an OSGi container based on the Spring framework.
They are not alternatives.

BTW, if you want to provide some OSGi stuff for JAMES Server, I think it
would be very welcome!

Stefano