james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [mime4j] Retrotranslator for Java 5
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:47:07 GMT
Markus Wiederkehr ha scritto:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:37 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
>> Do we care about 1.4 compatibility at all give the results of the poll? What
>> is the reason for maintaining a 1.4 compatible version?
>
> Personally I don't care about 1.4 and I don't believe many users will, too.

Same here. But..

Keep in mind that the poll was about JAMES Server and not mime4j. JAMES
Server runs in its own JVM so it is easy for most users to simply use
java5/6/7 to run james even if they have older infrastructures. On the
other side mime4j is a low level library, and may live in different
applications. E.g: people could use it to add mime parsing to some
platform having embedded java support... Please note that I don't know
what are the java versions supported by such devices and what is the
market share of that stuff.. but I think this make a difference between
james server and mime4j.

> On the other hand the new patch I just attached to MIME4J-85 gives us
> Java 1.4 compatibility at a very low price. The only compromise is
> that o.a.j.m.m.Mode is no longer a true Java 5 enum. But the good old
> typesafe enum pattern behaves very much the same.
>
> I believe that now we have a Java 5 source code and a Java 1.4
> compatible jar not much can stand in the way of applying this patch.

Make sense!

Stefano