james-server-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: CFP open for ApacheCon Europe 2009
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2008 00:38:06 GMT

On Nov 1, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 6:56 AM, David Jencks
> <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 23, 2008, at 11:00 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> interesting: what did you have in mind?
>>
>> Aside from possibly using the connection pool, transactional, and jpa
>> support offered by a javaee app server,
>
> hmmm...
>
> am i right in thinking that creating an OpenJPA based data storage
> would be the way to start?

That's what I think, from my position of James ignorance.

>> it seems to me that the main reason
>> you'd be running james inside geronimo would be if your ee apps
>> needed to
>> send or receive mail.  It seems to me that there should be no need
>> to go
>> over tcp if both ends are running in the same jvm., delivery ought
>> to be
>> calling a method directly on the mail server.
>
> i can see several potential enterprise use cases
>
> 1. shared data access - share data from a standard mail server in an
> enterprise application. an OpenJPA based data storage layer for james
> might take care of this.
> 2. inserting mail into spool - a JEE application wants to deliver mail
> as if from SMTP or FetchPOP without the overhead and inconvenience of
> using the protocol. this needs to be done asynchronously. i think that
> JMS might be a useful candidate. it took me about a day to integrate
> James with ActiveMQ well enough to allow messages to be delivered into
> the spool by JMS.
> 3. direct integration with mailboxes - a JEE application might want to
> put a mail directly into a mailbox for later retreval by POP3 or IMAP.
> JCA?
> 4. triggering JEE processing from a mailet. a mail is accepted into
> the spool (over FetchPOP or SMTP) and processing procedes. some mail
> (for example, not SPAM for user joe) should then be passed to a JEE
> application for processing. again, JMS seems like the right approach
> to me. again, i had ActiveMQ integration working within a day so this
> is definitely possible.

I think that activemq vm transport would give the in-vm features I was
thinking of.  I do wonder if this would introduce either unreliability
(jms non-persistent messaging) or overhead of redundant storage copies
(jms persistent messaging, followed by james saving the message).

I don't think outbound j2ca is generally appropriate for situations
where connections are free (i.e. in-vm)

It might be fairly practical to write an inbound jca connector (to
mdbs) that directly delivered mail.

thanks
david jencks