james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [server] Java 5, Spring And Phoenix
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:23:27 GMT
Norman Maurer asked:

> Why we would need java 6 ? Which feature you miss in java 5 ?

JSR-223, for one.  Yes, we could backport using BSF, but deployment would be
easier if we went with Java 6.

Also, "little features include SSLParameters class that encapsulates the
configuration of SSL connections and new parameters and options for some of
the security related classes. The changes even filter down to the socket
level. Socket read timeouts are now fully supported."  Oh, and built-in
support for LDAP using JAAS.

I am not concerned with the improvements for the GUI, WS, etc., nor even the
ones that we want, such as in the areas of performance and debugging, since
anyone can move forward to Java 6.

> What's wrong with spring ?

Non-standard and unnecessary.  OSGi is the standard.  Danny proposes the use
of a configuration service that injects configuration to the component to be
configured, which would allow us to use Spring or Commons Configuration or
anything else.

Regardless, we'll want to go back to plain POJO interfaces.  And that's
another reason for looking at annotations.

	--- Noel