james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Wiederkehr" <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject [mime4j] Retrotranslator for Java 5
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:24:19 GMT
I am trying to use the Retrotranslator Maven plugin to create a JRE
1.4 compatible version of Mime4j after the source code has been
migrated to Java 5. The byte-code translation seems to work and the
resulting class files are version 48 (1.4). So far so good..

But my patch currently uses an enum and this is where the problem
begins. A Java 5 enum implicitly extends java.lang.Enum which is not
present in Java 1.4. But according to the documentation
Retrotranslator should be able to replace java.lang.Enum with its own
version. It should even be possible to embed this replaced version in
the resulting jar file.

I played around with various parameters (e.g.
backport=net.sf.retrotranslator.runtime, verify=true, embed=true, ...)
but it just does not seem to work..

Can anyone help me out with this?

Markus